Saturday, August 14, 2010

Into Town

Inside the house the doctor is checking Tank.
"He's going to be fine, do not worry. You kicked him with what? I've never seen you before and you are not one of Aron's sons."
"No, Aron and Paula found me on the beach, I don't really remember anything from before that"
"Amnesia? Just learned about it in the books, never seen it, it will pass too, it helps if you go to familiar places, have you been to town? Do you remember your name?"
"No, I do not, I want to go to town, I seem to intrude on this nice family and cause trouble and I only have to thank them for their kindness"
"Come with me, we'll take Tank with us and you can stay at the hospital, it's more like a room with a bed, but will do until you find a job, then you will be able to rent a room at the saloon"

They put Tank on a stretcher and before leaving the stranger said:
"Thank you for helping me, I will try and recompense  you as I can."
"No need, just go and find the path God has given to you" said Aron "it was God that sent you to us to take care, good-speed to you!"
As they entered the town the doctor asked:
"Anything look familiar to ya?:
"No, not really, I don't think i have ever been here"
"That's fine, here we are, this is the hospital, well, it's just a small house, but it's the closest thing and everybody calls it a hospital as we have beds for the sick here. You'll stay in the small room near my office, you'll have some company, we have Mamma Lane with us and a nurse, nothing contagious. My nurse Betsy is here taking care she has all she needs. She's not really a nurse, she helps me and i give her bed and some money to keep her from working at the saloon. She's strong headed, poor cook and wants to be a medic, but that's no career for a woman. It's going to be hard for her to find a man with these ideas she has. I will let you stay for one week at the hospital as you seem to be a fine man, your words are of an educated man, besides, you're he first amnesic I have met."
"Thank you very much, I will try not make any trouble for you."
"You can't really, everybody needs me here, there is a lot of fighting in the saloon, for drinks and the women there, they all want to get fixed and I'm the only one, the barber is very old and can't really help them, some are even afraid to get their hair cut at his place, but he's full of wisdom and everybody goes mostly for that. Ow, if you drink, don't come sleep at the hospital, no booze, no women as long as you stay here."
"Betsy, come here, we have two guests."
A blond girl with blue eyes and long hair came down the stairs. 
"I am here, hello!"
"We have two guests, Tank we'll put in the room at the floor level, he will wake up, he just needs some sleep, i will give him a shoot, and he'll wake up in the morning when I will be here. He's usually very strong, but seems like he hit himself hard now, he might not like our other guest, he has amnesia, this means he remembers nothing since a few days back. Keep him safe from Tank."
"Hello" said the stranger "I will try and leave as soon as I find a job into town"
The doctor left Betsy in charge of everything and went home as the sun already sat down and he usually likes to spend it with his family that lives just outside town. He had his house built there not to keep away from the noise of the town, but to be close to a small patch of trees where he liked putting a hammock and having a pipe while reading. It was the only green island near town as all the trees were cut down for building houses and he did not even had to pull strings to get the land because the former owners were found all dead in the house with wild animal bites on them. The people thought they were bitten by beasts from hell as nobody was  able to recognize those bites and the house was far from any forest and no big animal lived anywhere near that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment